First Citizens Bank Parking Lot
(at Front St., Turner St. & Middle Lane)
$10 chances to win the Blue-Ribbon Mural will admit guests to the 5:00pm reception at 127 Middle Lane - where winners will be announced
|CLICK TO ENLARGE|
|CLICK HERE to view Joann's album|
|Francophiles gather to celebrate Bastille Day in Beaufort-by-the-Sea|
|General Lafayette and "Sleeping Beauty" enjoy a few moments chat|
|Monsieur "Double-jour" waves his tricoulour proudly|
|Old Thatch School|
|CLICK IMAGE to OPEN PHOTO ALBUM|
The area was once occupied by the Jajowarrung Aborigines who called the area 'Peerick'. The first European in the area was Thomas Mitchell. The first squatters were the Kirklands and a Mr Hamilton who took up land in 1838. The latter's 'Trawalla' station was taken over by Adolphus Goldsmith in 1841.
Gold was discovered in 1852 with another rush at Fiery Creek in 1854. Four settlements sprung up on the Fiery Creek Diggings'; one of which was Beaufort. It was surveyed in 1857 and town allotments were sold from 1858. A Catholic church was built in the early 1860s . . .More...