Beaufort is located between Ballarat and Ararat in the Pyrenees Shire local government area; the administrative centre is located at the council headquarters in Beaufort. Its primary industries are related to wool, farming, forestry, quarrying and mining.
The area was once occupied by the Jajowarrung Aborigines who called the area 'Peerick'. The first European in the area was Thomas Mitchell. The first squatters were the Kirklands and a Mr Hamilton who took up land in 1838. The latter's 'Trawalla' station was taken over by Adolphus Goldsmith in 1841.
Gold was discovered in 1852 with another rush at Fiery Creek in 1854. Four settlements sprung up on the Fiery Creek Diggings'; one of which was Beaufort. It was surveyed in 1857 and town allotments were sold from 1858. A Catholic church was built in the early 1860s.
|Beaufort cottage circa 1860 - Museum of Victoria|
|1890 Beaufort Railway Station - Museum of Victoria|
|Celebrations marking the 1911 coronation of King George V - held in Beaufort.|